Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Brandon Phillips Hates The Cardinals

Nothing like a good ol' fashion bench-clearing brawl to start a game:



What I learned from this fight:

1. Johnny B still has it. Dusty Baker, angry as all hell, really got the fighting started. He looked like he wanted to kill Tony LaRussa and Chris Carpenter. That's what I want to see from a manager, fire.

2. Brandon Phillips has got a big set of cojones. A day earlier, Phillips said, "I'd play against these guys with one leg. We have to beat these guys. I hate the Cardinals. All they do is complain and moan about everything, all of them. ... I really hate the Cardinals. Compared to the Cardinals, I love the Chicago Cubs. Let me make this clear: I hate the Cardinals." He was just asking for it.


3. A man with perfectly waxed eyebrows can be a tough guy. Yadier Molina, who took exception to Brandon Phillips' comments the day earlier, got in his face after Phillips gave his customary tap to the opposing catcher's shin guards. It would have been nice to see Yadi and Phillips go toe to toe.

Most of the time, when benches clear, nothing comes of it, but this time we got to see some action. It's nice to see some hatred between two teams. I know it's not the PC thing to say, but it's the truth. I think it's something great for the game of baseball. For a team like the Reds, who have been terrible for so long, they can show they are for real.

2 comments:

  1. Everyone would be better off if they stuck to the truth instead of arm-twisting everyone into PC Land.
    ....AND Yadier went deep! That's the way to finish it off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTB - Yup. I love seeing this stuff.

    Yadier hitting the homerun was the big slap in the face to the Reds.

    ReplyDelete