Monday, April 18, 2011

Bobblehead News

Here's a bit of bobblehead news to start off the week:


Last month the Dodgers released the first images of the Don Mattingly bobblehead they'll be giving away on June 1. Roberto from Vin Scully Is My Homeboy has the first hi-res images of the bobble. This looks like another good one.



Today is the one-year anniversary of Ubaldo Jimenez' no-hitter. The Colorado Rockies celebrated the anniversary by giving away Ubaldo bobbleheads. Doesn't really look like him.



The Anaheim Angels have a few bobblehead nights on their 2011 promotional schedule. The first one falls on Tuesday, May 24, when the Angels will be giving away Kendrys Morales bobbleheads. The interesting thing about this bobblehead is, they'll be giving away two different versions of the star first baseman, one batting left-handed and one batting right-handed.  From Angels.com:
Right Handed or Left Handed? Which Kendry Morales Bobblehead will you get? (one per fan per entry, no exchanges)

I'll be attending this game with my wife. Maybe we'll get both of them.



On July 17, the Oakland Athletics will be giving away MC Hammer bobbleheads to the first 10,000 fans in attendance. No, the bobblehead will not be wearing the baggy pants. Hammer was an A's batboy when he was a teenager. The above picture is a prototype of the bobblehead.



And finally, the Tampa Bay Rays needed to come up with a new promotion to replace the Manny Ramirez bobblehead on May 29. Manny retired last week instead of taking a 100 game suspension for a positive drug test. With Manny going bye-bye, so did the bobblehead. The Rays are taking advantage of the hot start from outfielder Sam Fuld. The Rays will be giving away Super Sam Fuld capes instead.

I wonder what's gonna happen with the 10,000 Manny Ramirez bobbleheads that have been produced. Something tells me will see one on Ebay soon.

4 comments:

  1. I have to say I really like the idea of Sam Fuld's flying capes. I knew this guy was going to be something special when he was with the Cubs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica - It was a nice quick replacement for the Manny nodders. These Rays promotions are for the first 10,000 kids under 14 anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be going to the Morales game as well... My buddy and I bought 4 tickets so we can try and get one of each as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jesse - I've got to admit, this is a good idea from the Angels. I'll let you know if I get bot h versions.

    ReplyDelete