Thursday, July 15, 2010

Bobblehead of the Day: Fred Mcgriff

Click here to purchase
Six years ago today Fred McGriff played his last major league game. So, on this anniversary, I thought it would be a good time to take a look at his Dodger Stadium SGA bobblehead.

On September 12th, 2003, the Dodgers gave away Fred "Crime Dog" McGriff bobbleheads to the first 50,000 fans in attendance. This bobblehead was made by Alexander Global Inc.  Although McGriff only spent one season as a Dodger, they decided to honor him with a bobblehead. It was one of three bobbleheads given away that season, the other two were Eric Gagne(5-02) and Brian Jordan(7-01).

The Dodgers played the San Diego Padres that night and won 6-0. Kevin Jarvis started for San Diego and Wilson Alvarez for  Los Angeles, with Alvarez pitching a complete game. Fred McGriff went 0 for 4 on his bobblehead night.

Let's take a look:













This is one of the strangest looking bobbleheads the Dodgers have given away. It looks somewhat like McGriff, but the eyes and smile are real creepy looking. I'm glad the Dodgers stopped using Alexander Global to make their bobbleheads, they weren't very accurate. Also, I hate the stance at the plate, it's so boring.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I never realized McGriff played a year out in LA.

    I think AG is one of the better bobblehead companies out there. I like Forever, just not as much as AG. I think AG does best with the classic pose bobbles and Forever with the batting/fielding/pitching poses.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike - Yeah, McGriff played one seasonin LA. I think AG is alright, I just think there are some better bobble makers. Forever is nice. The Dodgers started using P2 in 2005. I think Forever has more realistic looking bobbleheads and much better poses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHY DID THEY EVEN MAKE THIS BOBBLE HEAD? HE WAS ONLY WITH THE TEAM FOR ONE SEASON, I CAN THINK OF SO MANY MORE PLAYERS THAT ARE MORE DESERVING.

    ReplyDelete