Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Bobblehead News


Tennessee shooting range cancels Kiffin bobblehead shooting. A gun store in Kingston, Tenn., that had planned to hold an event where Tennessee football fans could shoot at bobbleheads of former Vols coaches Lane Kiffin and Monte Kiffin had a change of heart.

Instead, for a $5 donation, one of the bobbleheads could be taken home. The event, which was held last Saturday, coincided with the one-year anniversary of Kiffin's departure from Knoxville to become head coach at USC.



Bobblehead video game coming soon. According to the Entertainment Software Rating Board, 2K Sports is releasing a game called MLB Bobblehead Pros. Here's how they describe the game:
This is a baseball simulation game in which players compete using "bobblehead doll" versions of real major league players. Players can customize teams, set up player positions and pitching styles, and run through entire seasons with various teams.
The game will be rated "E" for Everyone, and will be on Playstation 3 and XBox 360. I can't wait to get this one.

Oakland A's to give away MC Hammer bobbleheads. Many MLB teams have put out their 2011 promotional schedules. One of those teams is the Oakland Athletics, who will be giving away three bobbleheads this year. One of those three bobbleheads will be of former A's batboy MC Hammer.The big question is: Will it be wearing genie pants? We'll have to wait and see.

Anaheim Angels release promotional schedule. Another one of those MLB teams to put out their promotional schedule is the Anaheim Angels. They'll be giving away three bobbleheads in Anaheim this season: Kendry Morales(May 24), Dan Haren(June 28) and an Angels Gnome(August 18). I'm assuming the last one will look like a garden gnome.

I used to go to all the Angels bobblehead nights, but I stopped doing that three years ago. It's just too tough for me to drive the 50 miles to Anaheim from the valley during the week. It takes over 2 hours on a weekday. Maybe I'll start going again this year.

Doug Melvin bobblehead fetches $3,050. Back in October, I mentioned that Comedy Central was auctioning a Doug Melvin bobblehead. The bobblehead, which had been signed by a long list of stars, including Clint Eastwood, Ben Affleck, Dr. Phil, Andre Agassi, and Courtney Cox, was being auctioned for the New York Center for Autism. I've been meaning to give an update on this auction. The bobblehead sold for $3,050. Not bad at all.

The bobblehead first appeared on Comedy Central's 'Night Of Too Many Stars: An Overbooked Concert For Autism Education'. It was hosted by Jon Stewart, and featured numerous celebrities, including George Clooney, Tom Hanks, and Jimmy Kimmel. You can see my original post here.

7 comments:

  1. Very cool update on the world of bobbleheads post. I hope the O's release their promotional schedule soon, and that they give away a bunch of bobbleheads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice update. I guess I'm gonna pass out of air deprevation for holding my breath that the Yankees actually give some out this season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan - I forgot to ask you if the O's released their promo schedule yet. I wonder if they're gonna put out a Josh Bell. If they do, I want one.

    Yankeesjetsfan - You're probably right. But, you never know. If they put out ONE, I'd be surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man -- the Hammer! Damn. Too bad I only collect Dodger and LA bobbles. Last year the Giants had a Jerry Garcia bobblehead. So jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike - I know, I wanted the Willie Mays "The catch" bobblehead SF gave out last year. My sister was in San Fran that weekend too. She offered to pick it up for me, but I told her she didn't have to. I still want it.

    I might pick up Hammer on the bay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice blog Dodgerbobble. Could you use a 2009 Topps Series 2 Matt Kemp GU Career Best Jersey card? It has been collecting dust since I pulled it! I would take Jays cards in return. Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. baseballislife - yeah. I'll take it. email me

    dodgerbobble@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete